On Monday, October 31, 2016 at 6:57:21 AM UTC-6, Conway Bennett wrote:

> I have the original green run QB and I run resist nomads which are listed
> at 700 X 45 with space to spare.  Probably not enough for fenders but
> plenty of mud clearance if you're into that sort of thing.  This winter
> I'll be running vee rubber 12s listed at 700 X 1.75, sans fenders.

We, that's consistent with my experience, which would make sense.  At least
a tire that is "labeled" 45 works.  The rear tire actually gives me more
trouble than the front, but I assume that wouldn't be the case with Rosco
#5, given that it doesn't have the QB's short chainstays and narrow
spacing.

On Monday, October 31, 2016 at 2:12:24 AM UTC-6, Matt B. wrote:

> I'm pretty sure all runs of QBs had RC-03 crowns.  The AHH also uses that
> crown, and on that bike 40 might be the max you can go, but I think the
> limitation there is from sidepulls not the fork clearance itself.  On the
> cantilevered QB you can easily fit a 45mm tire, maybe up to 50 without
> fenders.

I think you meant "all Simple Ones have the same crown" right?  The two
crowns I linked to above are both Quickbeams, and definitely differ from
each other.   The later (silver) one looks like the Simple ones which, you
are probably right, must be a RC-03.  And that may indeed be able to take a
50mm tire?!   The Reader article says it's the Sam crown, but then says
that the wider RC-04 is "maybe" the Sam crown.   50mm, if realistic, starts
to change the equation and could almost work.  I know that people have
successfully run 50s on a Sam, but had to deflate to get the tires past the
brake pads.   Wish I knew for sure which crown was used.

Here's a Simple One crown, which matches the #5 crown and later QBs:

Simple One crown
<https://www.flickr.com/groups/1562320@N25/discuss/72157625871894524/>