Isn't the IRD front derailleur designed to work with compact double
cranksets?  That may be the issue. You probably should get a front
derailleur designed for a triple.
I'm building my new Hillborne with a NOS Suntour XC pro front
derailleur but I'm still awaiting my new Paul canti's so I haven't run
cables yet.

Speaking of tubing... I would assume the Hillborne has the slightly
thicker tubesets because it a slightly lower grade non-heat treated
tube.

BTW... great story about how you got to Rivendell.

Mike
Socal