On Jan 6, 8:57 am, "LyleBogart{AT}gmail.com" <lylebog...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>  I'd bet the seated
> high torque pedaling is revealing a weakness/dysfunction elsewhere in
> the kinetic chain--weakness or excessive tightness (or a combination
> of the two) at the hips for instance--which yields poor biomechanics
> at the knee joint.

thanks for detailed replies, Lyle.  so, if I understand it correctly,
as long as there are no weak links in the kinetic chain, it's all
good.  and conditions like chondromalacia, etc., which are commonly
associated with pushing to big a gear, are better explained and
treated by dealing with the weak links than by focusing on the knee
joint as separate from the kinetic chain.

in other words, if one has a clean, well lubed kinetic chain and is
not experiencing pain, then low cadence cycling, fixed gear or
otherwise, is not cause for concern regarding the long term health of
one's joints.

I really hope my kinetic chain is strong!   70" fixed gear through
snow and burlington hills ain't no joke ;)

what is considered low cadence anyway - less than 70 rpm?  less than
60rpm?