I try and ring my bell after I've moved over hoping that the audio queue
indicates which side I am on.
I tend to think the need for warning diminishes as the relative speed
decreases and separation increases. But some people may not be happy no
mater what you do.
More generally these sort of issues are part of why I generally prefer to
stay off MUPs, and really try to stay off MUPs that are heavily used.