I had a really fast greenway ride today because the trails were all but
deserted due to our s. Texas winter weather.  50 degrees, overcast and low
humidity - it was great.
I began in the middle, went to one end, crossed back and went back to the
other end.
Near that 3/4 turnaround, I could see a mother ahead through the trees
herding 2 small kids, so I rang my first announcement bell, and another as
I approached closer, and of course I slowed way down to ride by them.
The mother apologized.  I told her no, you guys have a blast.
On my way back, the mother did something really cool - she did nothing. She
didn't lunge for her daughter on the tricycle or yell at her.  She left
alone to broaden her own horizons.
As I was about to pass the little girl I gave a soft ring and she looked
over her shoulder to see where I was.
Clearly, the mother felt safe with my awareness of her daughter.