Rod - yes, that's my understanding of how the term changed, too.  That's
happened to lots of other words and terms over the years, as well.  Take
"hacker" for example.  That used to mean an electronics hobbyist who fooled
around with bread-boarded components back in the day when personal
computing was in its infancy.  Then it got morphed into the evil meaning it
has nowadays, largely by the media, I believe.  But, again, the meaning of
"freds" appears to be location dependent to some extent.