Patrick,

I'll play with saddle position as well (as I said, I'm experimenting).
 Thanks for the idea.  Although my issue is less with arms and more with
the neck.  Using typical drop bar position feels similar (to my neck) to
watching a TV mounted 25 ft above the floor during the entire ride.

Also thanks for bringing up safety part.  It might be a significant factor
for some riders out there who are thinking using stem extender.  For my use
though it does not *feel* like there is a safety issue.  The upright
position significantly reduces the amount of weight that goes on the
handlebar. Also, my rides are mostly on flat roads.  I never exceed 15mph.
   With the stem and the extender both tucked all the way down, the setup
is probably sturdy enough.  (which won't be the case I were to be climbing
hills or riding fast downhill).

A better suitable bike frame is on the way, btw.  I've ordered an Appaloosa
frame.  Nitto Dirt Drop stem + ChocoNORM bar combination works great for me
on that (based on the test ride).   I acquired a Raleigh Record Ace from a
friend, which I'm planning on using for occasional fast rides.

Chees,

-Ash