Here are my steps:

Roast green beans, cool immediately after roasting (Just deposit them
outside in NNE)
Aerate for 6 hours
airtight container overnight
Grind as recommended here - on a Baratza Virtuosa I use setting 20
(espresso is 14, french press is 32 for me)
Use cold water, we have a spring in the yard - so I use water from there
Fill funnel, do not compress coffee
Put stove on L/M so steam will saturate, water or coffee should not boil

I only rinse it with water for cleaning
Works for me, ymmv

Just like it takes over 250,000 miles to become a reasonable cyclist, it
takes 1,000 tries with a Bialetti to make a good coffee. :-)

Andreas