Ted:

Strada Rossa is in goathead country, and given the amount of rain we've had
so far, it will be a bumper crop by springtime.  Hopefully David will chime
in with his hard won wisdom on the subject of tire selection & sealants.
He's tried a lot of things so he can speak with authority on the subject.

I've ridden it on Marathon Supreme & Marathon Mondials with tubes, sans
sealant, without flats, but perhaps I've been lucky.

dougP