I have done a fair amount of backpacking and bike camping in the past and one
trick that I have always done is to evaluate my gear when I get back.

Since you already have a list for what you are bringing, when you get home
write down everything you actually used. Then if you have unused items, ask
yourself why yor brought it and if you should bring it next time.

For instance: You go camping on a beautiful clear night of 50 degrees. When you
go through your gear upon return you realize you didn't use a poncho, tarp, and
smoothie maker. Well if the weather turned the poncho and tarp would have been
nice, so keep those on the list for next time and drop the smoothie maker. Or
bring an extension cord next time.