Hmmm, perhaps years ago when the book was written, Skinner may have been
misunderstood but in today's world he is widely regarded (relatively speaking)
as bringing the practice of operant conditioning to the mainstream practice of
working with animals and people with extreme learning disabilities.

You can thank two of his phd students for that.
Keller and Marion Breland left their studies to open ABE which trained
thousands of animals for all sorts of work. If you ever saw a dancing chicken
at a fair or a pig in a Purina commercial, it was likely trained at ABE.
Bob Bailey was an employee of theirs and later married Marion after Keller
passed. Bob Bailey still speaks publicly on occasion and is well worth seeing
if you get the opportunity. He worked for the military prior to joining ABE and
worked marine mammals, birds etc... prior to the development of guided misses
they trained pigeons to peck at a screen to keep missles on course, Ravens to
fly into buildings to steal top secret papers, dolphins to place electronic
jamming devices on enemy ships and much more.
Marion eventually returned to her studies and went on to apply their training
principles to children with autism as well as other disorders.

Until I just read that Skinner was misunderstood, it never crossed my mind,
then again, I've read some of his work but never encountered much in the way of
hearsay.

No matter how cognizant you are of the tenets of operant conditioning, Pavlov
is always on your shoulder.

Ray
Vallejo CA