On Friday, March 3, 2017 at 6:59:31 PM UTC-8, Ed Carolipio wrote:

> One issue I had with other bikes in running this particular setup in the
> rear was the offset load - one heavy pannier on the left side - noticeably
> affected handling. That's not a problem with the Appaloosa. Also, I've
> experimented with multiple pannier bags and didn't have a problem with heel
> strike, nor did I really need to make extreme adjustments to the pannier
> hooks to get the bag to work right.

I used to commute with a Clem with one heavy pannier (Arkel shopping bag
pannier) in the rear, and like you, I never noticed any significant effect
on handling. That was really sweet. And, of course, with those long
chainstays, it's really easy to mount rear bags. I've since switched the
commute to a lighter (and more importantly, shorter wheelbase) frame/bike
with a front basket carrying all my gear, and while I don't like the
handling effects of weight up front like that, I do like having my stuff in
the front for visibility and ease of access. Regarding front bags for the
Wald basket, I've been swapping back and forth between a Swift sugarloaf
bag in waxed canvas, which I love, and a Reload custom-color basket bag,
which holds more and costs less, but is covered in velcro which doesn't mix
well with wool clothing. The sugarloaf is a fantastic option for those of
us with VERY small laptops.