The Atlantis won't go away forever and never for long and maybe not at all,
and redundancy has been our calling card and anchor all along...because
Rivendell bikes are all good for more than one thing. How is a good commute
bike different than a good touring bike? You might have historical highbrow
imagery of "classical touring bikes," but the bikes have the same
requirements--strong wheels, a place to put a tent or milk, good handling
with a load, and a comfortable position. You're more likely to pedal four
hours (works both ways) on a tour than shopping, but isn't it then funny
that most shopping bikes are more comfortable than most "classic" touring
bikes, which tend to look better than they feel?

There couldn't be more two overlapped bikes than the Atlantis and
Appaloosa--as, like, platforms and performance and feel and all. Our
direction has shifted only slightly, world-record slightly, in our history.
The bars have come up a hair and the chainstays are inching longer and
there's less reverence for the past and certain associations with
properness and style than there used to be. I (personally, as opposed to
all of RBW) have grown more haywire and feel less apart of the main bike
industry than ever before, because (I think) I am I'm slightly suffering
from being on a private high horse when it comes to questioning the motives
of why this or that is happening, and not liking the answers.     The bike
MARKET is super crowded, and it leads to dozens of categoris and abberants
and variety...and on one hand it's cool that bikes really can travel
motorlessly over more terrain--that's one of the good things, although I'm
not talking about eFat bikes penetrating the wilderness when i say
"good"--but it also leads to overspecialization with too many categories,
and then new riders go shopping and ask for bikes by category and not by
this is how I'm gonna use it.

Am I off track here? What am I even addressing? Oh--Atlantis and Appaloosa.
If the Appaloosa had Atlantis decals it wouldn't seem like a different
bike. Longer stays is the big difference. There's not a quality difference,
and they both ride well. The comparisons are inevitable and so I tried to
address them, but the existence of the Appa doesn't make the Atlantis less
or obsolete. Redundant for sure, but we have a lot of redundancy in our
line. It's better than having less of it and a bunch of good-for-one-thing
bikes, right?