Ya my other 2 are a 68 cm Road Standard or Custom from the 90s, converted
to 650B and a 68cm Redwood from the 04-06 range, both acquired used.  This
is my first new Rivendell.  I'm kind of geeking out about it, even though
it's not technically as nice as the others, there's something to be said
about being the first and only owner. ;)

Of course, I am already thinking about mods, and I haven't even gotten the
bike yet.  The fenders are in the box.  I'm looking at tires in the 40-50mm
range.

Besides carrying my toddler around, I have a mixed terrain 200K in mind for
this bike that my usual brevet bike (the Road Standard/Custom) is not well
suited to. This particular ride has about about a 6 mile stretch of soft
sand followed by hard rocks right before the turnaround, then you get to go
through it again the other direction.  I can only fit 38mm tires, tops, on
the RoadStd/Custom.  I tried it once and there was a lot of slideouts on
the sandy section, it was definitely touch and go with 38mm slicks.  That
left me fairly disappointed because other than that one rough section, it's
one of the nicest rides around this area.

I'm thinking maybe something like this would work well, or even the stock
tires.
http://www.wtb.com/products/riddler-45c
I need something that can get through the sand more confidently and not get
cut on the rocks but that won't be too much of a slog on pavement.

of course being an upright bar bike with largest gear of 38x12(?) it will
be a leisurely ride but one has 13.5 hours to finish a 200K.  All you need
is RFD, that being, Relentless Forward Direction...