The shiny ones are a coated fabric so I wouldn't get too aggressive with
the cleaning.  The worst ones I ever saw were with a guy who'd been on the
road 2 or 3 years continuously.  They were originally black but looked like
faded charcoal canvas, with little coating left.  The only giveaway was the
little reflective triangle.  He was planning to replace them shortly.

dougP