I would definitely avoid carrying a tandem on a hitch rack; just way too
much risk.  Even if you are super cautious, you can't depend on other
drivers not to hit it while parking or changing lanes.  We use the Yakima
sidewinder with the front wheel facing the rear over either our Prius or
Gulf Sportwagen.  I did have to remount the fender a bit more forward but
with a flap it provides good protection. On a tandem and especially  a
steel tandem it is very important that the fork be perfectly square to the
rack dropouts and the QR is on tighter than you would normally.
Personally I think  all tandems should have couplers.  It takes us about 20
minutes to break ours into two triangles and stow it in the back of either
car.  Another 20 minutes to reassemble.  When we are driving more than a
couple of hours we do this.  No draft, no worry.

BTW, you will definitely want a good mud flap, otherwise water will spry
under the pilot and hit the stoker in the shins & smack into the crank.

Michael