Just a counterexample.  I've got a large on my double top tube cant Sam,
and I love it.  I use it for commuting every day as well as touring and
camping rides.  I agree it's extremely big, but I like having the option of
filling it up and don't really see a significant downside to having more
room.

If it were me, I'd get a large and test it out for a bit.  If you don't
like it, you probably won't have trouble reselling it or even trading it to
someone with a medium who wants more volume.