I just put a pair of Torch's on my Karate Monkey this week and I'm
similarly impressed with them.  I agree with your description of the tread.
 My Big Apples are a smooth, continuous transition from sidewall to tread
but the Torch has a very defined tread section with a well defined border
between tread and sidewall.  I actually prefer this because it gives the
bike a more "planted" feel.  If Compass ever comes out with a similar width
700c tire, it will be hard not to purchase a set.

Thanks for posting your Appaloosa.  Not only is it a beautiful bike but
I've been sitting here imagining a Hunqapillar with Bullmoose bar and Torch
tires.  Now I know how good it would actually look!