I might be making things up as I go along, but some (all?) of the Nitto
front racks use an m6 bolt brazed onto the end of a steel tube for the fork
crown stay, so if there's any flexing it will stress the bolt<->bolt head
junction (which has already been weakened by brazing it to the tube.)
I've had one that failed like that pass through my hands, and there are
pictures on flickr of other racks that have died in the the same way.

You might be able to find someone locally who can braze a new bolt on for
you, and if not and you're willing to cover shipping send it to me and I'll
braze a new bolt or a flat mounting plate onto it for you.

-david parsons