Possible? Yes. Enjoyable? Debatable...

I recently did the first 1000km of the Divide. I decided to leave my
Atlantis at home and ride a Crust DFL with 26" by 3" tubeless tires. It was
the perfect decision. There was an Atlantis in my group, and he had many,
many flats. Some of the descents are more akin to creek beds due to
erosion. I could let go of the brakes and fly down. He double flatted. Some
of the descents are steep and very long. I was extremely thankful for my
large disc brakes. I never had trouble stopping my loaded bike even in the
rain. My Atlantis would have been a bad call in my opinion.

Now, there are many long sections of the divide where a Homer would be
absolutely in its element. I guess you need to decide if you want a bike
that sings on the gravel roads but you're walking some of the most 'fun'
sections. Or a bike that doesn't bat an eye at the rough stuff, but might
be a touch slower on the road. I never felt I was at a disadvantage on the
road sections. I increased my tire pressure and kept up just fine. But the
guys on 2" tires and under were at a definite disadvantage.

So yeah, you can do it, and many people have, but your bike and body will
take a much bigger beating.