Another reason to go steel is that the fork steerer is steel and so it is
always better to use like metals.  Aluminum does not do really well with
threads, it galls and wants to get stuck. Grease works as a dialectic to
prevent or slow down galvanic corrosion.   If you do go with Aluminum, I
would grease it really good.

I must disclose that I have never adjusted a headset nut in my life
aluminum or steel.

Scott