spar varnish is harder to keep, because it cures by exposure to oxygen.  To
keep it around you need canned inert gas like Bloxygen to blow over the
top.
But it is flexible.  It's what they coat bamboo fly rods with, and think
about how a bamboo fly rod flexes.
It's like an oil, very low viscosity, and the first 4 or so coats are
absorbed by the cork.  You want a couple of bright coats over the absorbed
layers.
If you squeeze the cork, it doesn't separate - it's not a hard shell, it
becomes a very viscous oil.

Coated cork will become slick if you're wearing soggy leather gloves.