Exactly, Ian. This works, except when it doesn't. Leah lives in a canyon, I
live in a narrow mountain pass. Geography limits options. I'm blessed to
have a MUP and good ol' CR21 that parallels the main artery, but it is
fairly cobbled together with bailing wire and duct tape. And, if I need to
get to town and back, my options require the use of the highway. Not bad
heading down, as I can coast at 40mph and have a wider shoulder the whole
way, but climbing back up has many tight canyon curves with no shoulder,
making being seen by traffic going 60 (that's supposed to go 45, 25 in the
curves, yeah, right!) difficult. The way round adds several hundred miles.

However, I think at this group's suggestion, I looked for alternative ways
to go through Woodland Park, and that has opened up much better biking
experiences, and far less risk of overloading my brain.

With abandon,
Patrick