Phillip is spot-on about weather in the mountains. As I spend a lot of time
in the southern Apps, I can also add that any big thunderstorm can drops
temps 30 degrees in short order, even on the Piedmont.

The best waterproof, breathable rain jacket I've found has a full zipper on
both side seams, making the jacket a poncho with sleeves. The Outdoor
Research Foray is unique in that regard. It uses Goretex Paclite.

Putting Goretex down is a popular pastime among the outdoor crowd. I was
one of them, until I took advantage of Gore's lifetime guarantee. My old
Marmot Goretex jacket started to leak, despite following the washing
instructions and retreating with water repellent. I filled a claim, sent
Gore the 5 year old jacket and they replaced it. A very straight-forward
process. No hassle.

On the less expensive side, the Patagonia, Marmot Precip, The North Face,
REI and other similar jackets with pit-zips from $100-120 will get the job
done for a few years, though without the massive ventilation of the OR
Foray.

Of course, if you don't live where rain can lead to hypothermia, perhaps
getting wet is a non-issue. To me, a quality rain jacket is worth the
investment, especially if the manufacturer backs it up.

Oh, FWIW I've done several MS 150s and 100k/100mi rides in tropical storms
with all day rain. However, in such events temps were in the upper 60s-low
70s. Not the same as downdraft storms that drop temps into the mid/low 50s
in a matter of minutes.

I am a self-admitted weather junkie!

Cheers,
Bill in Roswell, GA