Delightful as always to share the journey with you vicariously after the
fact! Isn't it fun to have that wee competitive edge kick in and see what
happens next? Grin. Summer after high school I toured Europe (all wrong on
way too skinny tires, but that's another story). It was wonderful to crank
up hills in France in the bike lane on the right passing mopeds in the
motor vehicle lane on the left. Cocky mite that I was, I waved and grinned
and they looked in wide-eyed astonishment that a bike loaded with gear
could go faster than they. Put-put-put-urp-put-put-put-put-urp. Were it to
happen today, I'd still be a cocky mite!

Poor lad #2 deserves pity and prayers, that his self-worth in the future
might not require avoiding a bonnie lass on a bonnie bike who bester him on
a hill. LCG (lowest common gear) is a perfectly respectable way to get up a
hill -- any hill. I do it all the time.

I race trees all the time, and while I always beat them on the out, I never
beat them on the back. Wonder what their secret is?

With abandon,
Patrick