On 05/27/2017 03:19 PM, Jeff Lesperance wrote:
Patrick - are you speaking about keeping your backside dry traversing deep puddles and gutters AFTER the downpour or during? I say during a downpour, your backside is getting wet from above enough such that any tire spray from below is negligible in terms of wetness, though it may be more foul from below, but yes, after a downpour, fenders will work wonders in any depth of water to keep spray off of the feet and the back.

"Tire spray from below" is never "negligible". And "more foul" hardly begins to describe it if you are riding in a place where Amish and Mennonite buggies have been using the roads -- as is the case in areas of Southern Maryland where I ride, and in Lancaster PA (where the Covered Bridge Metric seems to have rain about as often as it does not).

As for the subject of this thread: let me say today I cheated death yet again, as I have done time and time again over the years. I've never picked up a stick, and when Jan Heine inquired on this subject among the old French randonneurs they'd never seen crumpled metal fenders. If you ride roads and use metal fenders and have proper clearance in your installation, then pretty much this is a non-issue about on a par with worrying about being struck by lightning.