My only experience with a handlebar shim was quite positive.  On one bike I
replaced the drop bar with an Albatross bar that's 25.4 mm.  On this bike I
use a stem riser with a threadless stem and removable faceplate to make
switching stems easy.  I installed the Albatross bars on a cheap (I think
it was Kalloy) stem that's 25.4 mm, and couldn't get the stem tightened
down enough to prevent the bar from rotating in it, even though bar and
stem were both 25.4 mm.  I was nervous the entire time I was out on the one
ride I took with this setup.  I swapped the Kalloy stem out for a VO stem
with a 26.0 mm clamp used a Nitto 25.4 to 26.0 shim, and it's rock
steady---I can't move it with any reasonable force (in other words, I
didn't jump up and down on it, but when I press down harder than I ever
will when riding it doesn't move).

I think Rene's right that it could be tricky to install a shim in a
traditional threaded stem with little clearance for the shim, but once
that's done it should be solid.