On 06/03/2017 06:46 PM, Joe Bernard wrote:
Yes, I've experienced this phenomenon with a bar being too close. There seems to be a
point at which a bar is so close that a rider's hands/arms react by trying to "push
through" to the proper location, resulting in too much hand pressure on the bar. It
sounds counterintuitive that a closer bar - creating a more upright position - would
cause discomfort, but I've had Patrick's experience of reducing hand pressure by moving
the bars forward.

As have I.  Shockingly counterintuitive .