Thanks, all, for the responses.

Deacon, I'm planning to follow your suggestion Saturday.  I installed the
Saddlesack earlier today and will load it up with some canned goods
tomorrow and take it for a 50 (or so)-mile ride.  Working with it empty is
what prompted my second thoughts about it, 'cause it's BIG.  I'll be mostly
on paved roads, maybe some unpaved but hard-packed bike paths, but nothing
tricky.

Matt, I'm 97.3% sure I'll be able to fit everything into this and the Acorn
bag in front.  If I can't then I was planning to do exactly what you
suggested, the Carradice panniers and a Nelson Longflap in back and an
Acorn bag in front.  But after seeing how big the Saddlesack is, if I can't
fit everything into that and the front bag, then I'm carrying too much and
need to leave some things home.

Weth, we're starting about 45 miles north of Ludington, MI, and riding back
home to just north of Indianapolis.  Most of it will be along US bike route
35, except for about a day in NW Indiana.  I didn't know that route existed
until about a year ago when I read about it in Adventure Cycling Magazine,
and when I did a little research on it I discovered that it includes a rail
trail that's only about 3 miles from my house.  It should be about 400
miles in 7 days, and we'll stay in some good towns along the western coast
in Michigan.