I'll echo Deacon Patrick's comments about just loading up and testing it,
and it sounds like you're taking that advice. There's probably nothing more
important than test riding your tour load, regardless of the way you're
going to carry it. I'll further comment to say that when I was preparing
for a fully loaded tour a few years ago, that was set to feature some
potentially gnarly off-road segments, in the weeks leading up to the tour I
tested all sorts of configurations on a few different bikes. I experimented
with panniers, saddlebags, handlebar bags and a few bikepacking-style bags.
I found, that at first, all loads felt a little bit awkward and unwieldy
regardless of how the gear was distributed and attached, but after rolling
for anywhere from a few miles to a few dozen miles, I was able to get in
tune with the ride characteristics. There was no one bike and packing
configuration that would absolutely not work, so long as I was willing to
keep an open mind, be willing to adapt a bit, and put in a bit of practice.

Unless I'm going full bikepacking outfit, my preference for packing, in
order of the amount of stuff I need to carry, would look something like
this:

* Saddlebag, small handlebar bag
* Saddlebag, small handlebar bag, front panniers
* Rear panniers, small handlebar bag
* Rear panniers, small handlebar bag, front panniers
* Rear panniers, small handlebar bag, front panniers, rear rack-top bag

The handlebar bag in this mix is something small, just because I don't own
a boxy rack-top rando-style front bag, as none of my bikes, or maybe me,
love this as a solo bag choice when I need to carry just a bit of stuff,
they all, or I, prefer a small saddlebag.

Adding bikepacking bags to the mix would change up the options and order of
packing, but I don't have a full array of those bags yet to be able to sort
out the options that would work best.

-Jeff
Silver Spring, MD