All very interesting comments.

I see a Rivendell like I see a vintage volvo or vintage muscle car in
regards to the enthusiast values the aesthetic of a different era of
manufacture. This is why I would not expect Rivendell to change. They exist
as a niche within the greater whole. If you want a modern bicycle for a
specific reason then as others mention there are ton's of off the shelf or
custom way's to go.

On the OP about disc brakes. They have their place and purpose. In the
continuum of all things mechanical a mechanical device is not without its
specific peculiarity always a compromise. On my Bantam adventure
(bikepacking) rig I have Paul Clampers mated to Shimano ice tech rotors.
They stop great! They work great on a descent with a load and my hands
aren't aching later. There is a point where no matter how good your braking
is there will be lock up and a momentum slide, to me this is user error
coming up to an obstruction/ feature too hot.  In loaded descents you can
keep the rim brakes. What's annoying about the discs. On initially applying
the brakes there's squeal on the rear then it's gone. And then there is the
caliper/rotor rub, I loosen the caliper squeeze the lever and re-tighten
the caliper.

I think for purpose built bikes meant for the road or cross bikes rim
brakes are plenty good. I have some mini-motos and they're awesome. On a
quill stem v threadless. The quill wins on beauty but the 1 1/8 or tapered
headset wins in the function arena.

We are in what feels like to me the renaissance of bicycling similar to the
late 19th century when 1 of every 2 patents was for a bicycle. Glad to be
alive in this era.

~hugh