I tend to be a bit self conscious and used to really keep to myself. I remember
I decided to experiment by intentionally looking people in the eye, smiling and
nodding or saying hello or some other pleasantry. What I discovered is that MY
experience was greatly enhanced by these interactions and most people responded
in a very positive way. Previously, my reticence to make human contact was
perceived by others as aloofness, when, in fact, it was quite the opposite. I
was painfully shy. That was a long time ago, around the turn of the century
(remember when the turn of the century meant 1901?!?!?!) and it changed me
forever. I still have to think about sometimes, because my nature is to
retreat, but the rewards of a kind smile, a wave and openness are their own
rewards. Thanks Patrick, for the reminder!