About the only time a rim is too wide is if the rim is wider than the tire
!  I recall back in the day riding on Specialized 1.5" tires on Araya 7x
rims which are 32.2mm .  Wider rims give better tire profiles than narrow
ones. In pro road racing for example, they run rims that are near the same
width as the tires for the least air turbulence. We're talking like a
23/25mm tire on a 23mm rim or a 25/28mm tire on a 25mm rim.  Of course this
doesn't matter for us but offering this as an example of just how close rim
and tire width can be. No longer are the days of running the narrowest rims
you can find to run a tire more than twice it's width.