Since I've been following Rivendell (bought my first in '04), their
catalogs and Readers and website have featured many pictures of people
riding bicycles offroad. That actually goes back to Bstone, come to
think of it... Offroad bicycling has been quietly popular for 100+
years, though it's only been heavily marketed as a separate product
for 25-30 years. It isn't terribly new, weird, or extreme (unless you
want it to be). All Riv's bikes are road-worthy, and most do well on
trails, too. Riv has had All-Rounders and even a few MTBs since the
beginning.

Why is Riv's interest in riding off-road suddenly such a problem? They
do still make road bikes, after all. Why the harshness?