As others have mentioned, what's most comfortable would depend on the bike,
your PBH to torso/arm length, type of riding, age, etc.

On my App I initially went with Choco-NORM.  You hunch about the corners is
absolutely correct.  Wrist position is super ergonomic there.

After a month or so I increasingly became annoyed with how the bike looked.
 For Choco-NORMs I had to raise the stem all the way up.  It looked comical
especially given that these 1" quill stems are so 'petite'.  I do wish this
bike had much longer head tube (which would make the top tube more sloping,
which in turn would make the bike looks even cooler, IMO).

Recently I acquired an Albatross to try out.   The bike looks much better!
 After about 10 days of riding I've decided to stay with it.   I do have
Map Ahearne, Surly Open Bar, etc in my list to try, but I'm not going back
to Choco.

With Albatross, the forward position is a bit more aggressive.  I find that
useful as well.  While hand position at the corners is not optimal in terms
of ergonomics,  I find the riding position at grips slightly more
comfortable (because Albatross bar ends are slightly more open/angled)

That reminds me, I need to make an FS post for the Choco bar.