I suppose I can definitely see you point given certain environments are
absolutely fragile, and many cyclists are abusive. However, riding here in
the east bay, I ride smooth 35mm tires on fireroads in land that is used as
free-range for cattle. Not exactly a fragile clime, but I agree with you
entirely about the dangers of destructive trail use and i'd love to see all
motorized usage banned.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 7:48 PM, MichaelH <mhech...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eric,
> Thanks for the question; I'd be glad to explain.
>
> I can only assume that "public" land owners aren't paying as close
> attention as I am.
> For me, this process begins with bikers riding across fragile paths.
> It is followed by mid night snowmobilers heading to the next bar and
> then moves to four wheelers running through mud season spraying
> precious topsoil wildly.  I use the trails too - on snow shoes and
> cross country skis, so I get to see the damage up close.
>
> My wife chairs the town Conservation Committee, and sees the same
> destruction on town trails.  Here in Vt. the state has just granted
> unlimited access to state trails for four wheelers.  I'm guessing
> they  figure they can pocket the campaign donations before anyone
> starts complaining about the real cost.  I'm ready to go back to a
> world where rural paths are for walking & cross country skiing.  Roads
> are for riding on.
>
> Michael H
> Westford, Vt
>
> On Jan 22, 7:11 pm, erik jensen <bicyclen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > i'm not sure i understand why a "land owner" would not want people riding
> > rivendells on public lands laced with firetrails.
> >
> > can you explain?

berkeley, ca
bikenoir.blogspot.com