I've never bunny hopped a Rivendell, but I recall one day bombing along on
a flat, firm dirt path on my mountain bike, racing someone on a small
motorized dirt bike, and suddenly finding a large hole right in front of
me. I don't know if it was superbe reflexes, or Divine intervention, but
whoop! I bunny hopped it cleanly.

Another instance, closer to home on a roadified '92 XO-1: I was keeping up
with traffic near an intersection on a large urban boulevard, without much
room to maneuver, and found the approaching pavement buckled. I did an
impromptu bunnyhop to the right to clear a pavement ridge. I was impressed
with myself (enough to remember it, apparently, since it was also entirely
impromptu). This one wasn't as life threatening as the hole in the path,
but I saved myself some rough pavement.

The most notable case of bunny hopping I've ever seen, though, was 30+
years ago along the K street corridor in Washington, DC, where bike
messengers were still common. A messenger on a road bike with 20 mm tires
hurtled at speed *directly toward the curb* and without slowing jumped the
curb and tore down the sidewalk. I know that, if I had planned a bunny hop
of that sort, I'd have dangerously flubbed it. Apart from harmless practice
on open road with foot retention and fat, soft tires -- it's not hard to do
in such circumstances -- mine have all been unthinking.

Come to think of it, I wonder if you really need retention; I think it's
much more a trick of weighting the tires heavily and then releasing all
weight on the pedals while, perhaps, lifting the bar. Note that in a real
bunny hop, both wheels come off the ground, not just the front. But I've
never done it except with retention Can anyone correct or confirm?

All my Rivendells are fixies and afaik you can't bunny hop, *strictu sensu*,
unless you can pause pedals while moving. If anyone knows how to bunnyhop
on a fixie, I'd like to hear about it.

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 2:35 PM, lum gim fong <john11.2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Like this:
> https://youtu.be/Zv97WNg6FMU
>
>  Some routes I ride I always have to stop, get off my bike, stand in the
> street, walk the bike up the curb, remount the bike, and keep riding. I
> would like to be able to just curb hop so I can keep going without
> dismounting every time. Plus it will be fun.
>
> But my bikes feel so heavy I can hardly get the front wheel off the ground
> for a split second before it slams down again. Or maybe I'm just too weak.
> I don't heavily load them. Just the front bag with 5 pounds or less in it.

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
*Interested in trading resume, LinkedIn, and other writing work for
professional (professional) help with marketing and growing my resumes,
etc. business. Respondents should have considerable experience in helping
small, online businesses grow. Please contact me at
patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com <patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com>.
Thanks.*