Looks like the tubing is different, but to what degree I can't say. The
statement that the butted ends are cut down to reduce excess heft doesn't
mean much to me since I'm ignorant about the process. I do know that I want
a light, svelt feeling road bike. However, my new Sam (2017) tube set is
considerably heavier than my old (2009 Sam) tube set, and yet it rides like
a dream. Those Silver tubes are heavier, yes, noticeably so (to the hand),
but the ride is excellent. So perhaps there's no real noticeable difference
in ride quality between the two frame sets?