Former Sam owner. It can do everything you intend to do with it. In the 2 top
tube version, it rode a lot like my 83 specialized expedition touring bike. I
easily was able to fit 50mm tires, and with Paul racers it stopped as well as
any of my canti bikes. I don't know if the clearances are maybe a bit tighter
on an ahh. I think of the 2 as basically the same but one is made in the USA
and slightly more classic looks. Can't go wrong either way. As someone willing
to wait the 8 months for an Atlantis,  I understand the desire for made in the
USA and classic looks though.