I have multiple pairs of Sun Tour thumbshifters and have used them on bikes
since 1983.

I have never shifted with just my thumb. Imagine if you extend your arm out a
bit, and with your thumb and forefinger together in a circle like you're
turning a dial, flex your wrist a bit.

I just love 'em. I have a bunch of Sun Tour Sprint shifters too, but have never
tried using any of the mounts these dayze. The ones I have work fine and love
that they are thick and stubby and ergonomic , which the Sprint/Silver shaped
ones are not. I always thought they were too thin even as dt shifters. It
befuddles me why no one but the "cheap" Sun Race and Falcon thumbshifters make
them nice and thick with a rubber coating, instead everyone keeps copying the
dt style and mounting them on some doo-dad. Jack of all mounts and master of
none.