Another vote for Microshift.

I have them mounted on Albatross on the inside so that (a) they won't
obstruct when I want to move hands to the curves (b) I get the sweet
ratcheting type shifting for the rear DR- which is 98% of the shirting on
my setup.  I push with the thumb for slower gears and index finger for
coming back to faster gears.

As with many other things, I was interested in experimenting with different
types.  So I also got XT trigger shifter.  After using Microshift I don't
feel like even trying those.  They feel too bulky and clunky.  I also like
not having to listen to the clicking noise.

I think they will work fine on flat bars.  I do feel that shifting method
is not as ergonomic as trigger shifters.  If I didn't mind the bulk/real
estate needs and the clicking sound, I would have gone with the trigger
shifter.