On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 9:45 AM, Tony DeFilippo <vpi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...'... if you are tired of gushing about Compass tires just skip this
> post.

> Ride quality is superb, not hugely different than how I remember the
> Hetre's or SBH's actually and I'm not sure how much the tubeless really
> matters to the feel.

I'd be interested to hear opinions from anyone who has ridden Compass EL
models both tubed and un-tubed; is there a big difference? I expect that
there will be less difference between tubed and tubeless with very supple
tires, assuming of course the use of good tubes. But I may be wrong. I know
that 559 X 1.35 Kojaks rode noticeably smoother and, to my senses, faster,
without tubes than with, tho' I abandoned the tubeless setup for fear of
blowouts as the tires are not designed to be used sans tubes (it was only
air pressure that kept the beads in place).

> My main motivation on the tubeless is that I'll have fewer flats and at
> least not have to mess with tubes so often.
>

>From my experience with the extremely light Compass Elk Pass, as well as
with tubeless on the Matthews, I don't find that I get more flats with
tubes than without, using Orange Seal in both. Of course, I don't ride the
EPs at pressures lower than, say, 50 psi, compared to half that for the F
Freds on the Matthews.

> Time will tell on the durability, obviously any of these light supple
> tires compromise on protection from road debris

I've got over 3,600 miles on my first set of Elk Passes (559 X 27-29 or so
actual on 19 and 21 mm rims ); these are 178 gram tires, friends, and I
regularly ride them in our gravely and thorn ridden dirt. 3600 miles on the
rear, and there is still plenty of tread; the front looks almost new --
that is truly amazing. I spent $1K on a dozen tires when they first came
out, thinking I'd have to install new ones after not much more than 1K
miles, but nope ...