Patrick and Will,

Many thanks for your detailed experiences with your array Hilltrek
garments, both of your insights are helpful to my decision.

I am always concerned when looking at "raingear" that many technical
specifications are purposely overlooked or the item is demonstrated in high
altitude or arid settings which use the physics of the environment to
produce claimed performance. In my use around here (38" annual rainfall,
27" snow) I need breathability or could just cut arm and head holes in the
bottom of a can liner for much less and pretty high resistance/proofness to
water. I can manage some moisture inside by choosing base and insulation
garments appropriately.

Synthetic advancements of other raingear at lower prices have all performed
somewhat as unfinished research projects at high costs, those being crunchy
loudness and service life. I believe the previous is telling of the latter,
any material has a flex to failure specification and the shell materials
dependent on coatings or laminates with a bonded 3D inner surface mesh
liner beg for both increases stiffness of hand and an earlier arrival of
the end of functional performance. Even trying not to pack or manipulate my
last shell, the stiffness of its build focussed flex and movement in wear
at the from of the shoulders, right where you need the shell to hold out
water the most.

Will, I am likely to follow your path to the DV shouldered and hood, SV
balance construction because while I seldom have to cope with the lowest
temps, I can sweat thinking about the next hill and have a premium on
breathability. Side note about pit zips and back flaps on lesser breathing
shells: here in the non-arid, closer to sea level lands they lower the temp
differential across the membranes/laminates and promote condensation on the
inside face of the materials beyond what the lining mesh can handle. A bad
thing if I am using the shell for wind blocking  instead of a water
barrier. nothing worse to end up wet on a dry dark morning.

Patrick, I've been quietly following your chronology of experience with
Hilltrek products and Ventile itself. Thanks for being a font of
information and freely sharing. Once again the usefulness of this list over
coffee each morning is more productive than my wife ever thought!

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh