Well, I haven't compared the 650 sizes, but I do have lots of riding time with
the 700 versions (sport contact ii 700x42 and compass 700x44 extra light).  I
did a 1500 mile road tour on my sam with the sport contacts and commute daily
(also on my sam) with the compass.  I've found the compass to be much more of a
pleasure to ride, though much more susceptible to flats.  The compass makes the
rough roads of Oakland feel like butter, while the sport contacts feel
noticeably stiffer.  Both feel about the same in terms of speed, though the
handling seems lighter with the compass.  I get a flat maybe once every month
and a half on the compass, whereas I did not get even one flat on my tour with
the sport contacts.  Hope that helps!