Perfectly reasonable question, Joe. I get issues in two conditions, Joe. 32˚F
to 15˚F when wet and mud from the road lands on the drive train and messes up
the derailer, preventing use of higher gears (also freezing on the rims, making
braking possible only after a lot of pumbing), or the same thing happening
below zero because the chain is too stiff to make it round the smaller cogs.

All ridable, but not sustainable for doing longer rides or more frequent rides.
In theory, this fixes both problems, but does it bring up new ones? At -20˚F
what does the oil in a IGH do? Too stiff to ride? These are my questions. I
know somone in the northern states had done this and had issues.

With abandon,
Patrick