I never noticed friction or roughness or vibration with any AW hub, or for
that matter any Shimano 3 speed, but I sure did with the bottom gear of the
S3X. But I hear that these hubs "wear in" -- is this so? Note though that
my experience with AWs and Shimano 3s includes new as well as used hubs.

Many users of the Rohloff say that it does "wear in."

I'm interested in this thread -- how a wide range 3 speed hub might perform
in the real off road terrain (not just dusty irrigation roads) and extreme
cold that t'other Patrick rides in; that is, how does it perform as gearing
for the terrain, and how well do the innards resist torque and the elements?

As for torque, many quasi-professional road riders, if not real
professionals -- and maybe some of those, too -- used epicyclic hub gears;
didn't Tommy whatsisname, who set that miles per year record, use some sort
of 3 speed hub?

But Patrick: a AW-cum-drum in back, a Dynohub (tm)-cum-drum in front ... a
good 15 lb of hus! I owned one of the former, and it was a cool hunk of
metal, but damn, the thing must have weighed 8 or 10 lb.

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, EUA