Deacon,

I grew up in Alamosa, Colorado and rode my grandfathers ancient Schwinn
during the winters.  Alamosa probably gets less snow than your area, but
back then the roads would get icy in November and stay that way until
March.  I rode the old Schwinn with 27x1.25 tires and a fixed gear.  I was
young and agile and it worked great!  Fixed gear riding allows a surprising
level of control over speed and balance and can save you when your brakes
decide to freeze solid.  Two decades later I spent a few winters in
Jackson, WY and commuted by bike.  I upgraded to Nokian A10 studded tires
(700x32 I think) on my Jamis Coda and used a fixed gear there too.    Those
tires and the fixed gear made for an almost pleasant 6 mile roundtrip
winter commute.  If you don't anticipate having to push through unplowed
snow, I think the Quickbeam and knobby tires will suit you just fine.

john