I do not think I would destroy a shoe for a wider box.  Cycling shoes are
pretty expensive up front and cutting them like that only means I will have
to replace them sooner.  The other thing is that cycling is different than
walking but he is applying foot health for walking unto cycling and cycling
probably uses different foot muscles.  I plan to get a wide box toe gym
shoe one day but I do not think that translate to cycling since those are
different activities.  Like a football player doing powerlifting to become
more explosive.  You have to train the movement to get better at it, not do
something else in hopes that it offers benefit to somethings else.