Exactly, Nick. Modern shoes are really modern foot binding mechanisms that
distort our feet and we don’t even realize it. I have fairly wide feet before
going minimalist and “needed” orthotics since I was 12 because of flat feet.
When I went barefoot and minimalist shoes (aka foot shaped, no support, no
cushion, no raised heel) my feet shrunk in length by a size but I have a
strong, hearty arch now, and my forefeet widened by half an inch. It took a
solid three months of full time barefoot walking and running (yes, take it slow
or you will get injured) for the feet and leg and back muscles to strengthen
and shift.

With abandon,
Patrick