I favor vests for moderate cold, and have owned and used over a dozen over
the years for cycling and for street wear, including several wool ones
(currently Filson and another lighter one), insulated (Cahart), and many
cycling specific vests including a nice Ibex made from a wool/stretchy
synthetic fabric. My other cycling vests have been of different weights and
designs of nylon. My experience is that with no arms, and a zippered high
rise neck, a well designed nylon vest vents well enough to avoid the
soaking that comes from sweating. I have a very light one with mesh back
for temps above 40*F, a heavier one of some stretchy synthetic fabric for
temps down to freezing; below that I can choose a jacket of similar
material with zip off sleeves, very useful when you start out at 25*F (it's
good for me over a single mid weight wool layer) and your return journey is
55*F. Come to think of it, I think these cycling vests are made from what
is claimed to be breathable fabric but I've tossed the tags and
accompanying brochures, and don't depend on the fabric for comfort.

For a jacket without removable sleeves, I'd certainly want a more
breathable fabric -- I gave up using windbreakers over wool 10+ years ago
because I always sweated even in very cold weather. But IME, the absence of
sleeves makes the sweat retention far, far less of a problem. But if if
someone put a gun to my head and demanded that I buy a breathable vest, I'd
look for another similear to the Ibex I sold (sold because it was a wee bit
short -- long torso -- and wasn't any more effective than the
nylon/synthetic ones I've used).

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 12:43 PM, EasyRider <peter.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm in the market for a new vest for commuting (and 1-2 hour rides). My
> last vest was a synthetic kinda breathable number with a liner that has
> started to disintegrate, leaving bits of plastic on my inner layers. For
> that reason I'd to replace it with something like waxed cotton.
>
> I've read Patrick's praise for hilltrek ventile but it's not in the budget
> for now. What I'm looking for is a waxed cotton vest, but more like a shell
> - no liner. I tend to wear a baselayer, a light sweater or synthetic
> pullover, and a vest for blocking wind, while remaining breathable during
> exertion. I'd like one with a collar. Anyone have a recommendation?

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique